11.1.11

Sgraffito YO

I just finished writting my proposal for this semester. Going back to the black and white things I was interested in working, I think that a really interesting way to do this will be working in sgraffito; black slip on my white m-370 clay body. To get my inspirational juices pumping so I can start planning my images I thought I would share a few pieces from some talented artists. 



This is Jeff Martin. I think he is brilliant. His black/white ratio is great and the imagery and line quality in general in inspirational. Playful, fun, and also meaningful. This is a great artist to follow. 



And then of course there it Matthew Metz. He works with a lot of images from nature. His work seems very innocent and tribal to me in most cases. Although the imagery can sometimes be indigenous, the quality of his work and perfection of his lines is stunning.  




This is a piece by Chris Theiss, it was made in 1989. Although it is not a thrown or functional piece, it is a great example of how sgraffito can be used to create and show off texture in clay. 


And the hanging wall tiles of Natalie Blake found on the unalun tile website. Another great piece or work that shows texture and dimension through slip and the carving of clay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...