19.1.11

Have I finally found the one?

I am (or maybe was) constantly struggling to find what MY art is going to look like/be. I know what I like, and I know my interests but there are so many options out there that how can you possible pick one way to work. Establishing your own look and feel to an object or work of art is hard. I want to make things that I actually enjoy making. That suit me and my styles and that I could leave somewhere out of context and have someone walk by and say "Hey! Mackenzie made that!!" This is my ultimate goal.

This recognition and familiarity or work is difficult to establish. But I think I might finally have a start.
I have started working with sgraffito (as an earlier post foreshadows) and.... I LOVE IT. It gives me a chance to be creative with my own designs, to be primitive, childish and fun with my drawings and it takes away from my previous disease of blank pot syndrome. Its hard when you have a blank pot and all of a sudden have to give it an identity with glazes. Slip is beautiful because you do it first. Then all you need to do is embellish. Working this way (so far) is working for me. So here is a quick snap shop of some of my in progress, upside down bowls.


yes yes yes
this is me.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice work. I know how you feel about sgraffito. I was hooked immediately too. I look forward to seeing how you develop your style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to see that ceramic artists also have "blank canvas" problems, although in your case it is blank pot. You have done wonderful things with design here. I love the drawings on the base of the pots.

    I sometimes find it tricky to have just one style. I like different styles and feel a bit hemmed in if I don't try the other routes. However, it sometimes seems to me that the most successful artists/craftspeople are those who develop one style which appeals to the buying public....hmm will have to think about that one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...